The Sickle Cell Society – ‘Emmanuel Amuta Poetry Award’
- Are you a young person (between ages 10 -15 years) who has sickle cell and is good with words?
- Are you creative and can write a poem about your life with sickle cell or anything relating to sickle cell?
If so, then consider applying or being nominated for the Society’s new ‘Emmanuel Amuta Poetry Award’ to be given at our AGM on 21st July 2018. There will be three prizes (1st Prize and two runners-up) including gift vouchers and the chance to attend a poetry /creative writing workshop.
The Emmanuel Amuta Poetry award has been created in memory of Emmanuel Amuta who suffered from sickle cell and sadly passed away on 19 September 2017, age 14 years. Emmanuel was a confident, caring and gifted young man most cherished by the Sickle Cell Society. He was good at poetry and rap and really endeared himself to participants at the Society’s AGM in July 2016 when he narrated his poem ‘A Beautiful Cell’. This award will be his fitting legacy.
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Application must be for an individual with sickle cell disorder
- The award is annual but successful winners cannot re-apply.
- Applicants should be age 10 -15 years.
- All work should be original and written by the applicant alone.
- PROCEDURE FOR MAKING AN APPPLICATION
- Application is by self-referral or nomination.
- Applications should be sent to the Sickle Cell Society:
- Covering letter which has the name, age and contact details of the applicant clearly written. The letter should also include a few lines about the ‘poet’ such as whether they do a lot of writing, would they like to go to a creative writing workshop and learn new skills or do they have other suggestions? Say whether this is a first attempt at poetry writing.
- Poem should be on a separate sheet of A4 paper, typed if possible or if handwritten this should be neat and clear to read!
- MORE INFORMATION ON THE AWARD
- All applications will be judged by a special panel.
- The winners or their representative/s will be expected to attend the Society’s AGM in London so a presentation of the awards can be made.
- By entering you are giving permission for the winning entries to be published on the Society newsletter and website.
- The winners will receive gift vouchers and be funded to attend a creative writing course or workshop.
- The winners will be expected to update the Society of their progress including telling us about any new pieces of creative writing they might have done.
- Posted entries should be addressed as:
Sickle Cell Society
54 Station Rd
London NW10 4UA
Entries can also be emailed to:
- The judging panel’s decision is final and there is no appeal process.
- The winners will be informed at least two weeks prior to the AGM on 21 July.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING ENTRIES IS 22nd JUNE 2018
Winners will be asked to confirmed their status by a letter from a hospital consultant, GP or Nurse Specialist.
For more information please contact: Iyamide Thomas. Email: email@example.com or Tel: 07841558611
AWARD IS FUNDED BY: